Friday, May 10, 2013

Tour Post #14

 
Tour Co-hosts:
 
The Writers Voice is a multi author blog where prominent authors from around the web come together and share their thoughts on all things literary or otherwise. Here is a peek at our team of authors!

Is there one book that has had an impact on not only your writing, but on you personally?

“I would have to say The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot. It impacted me both in writing and personally because it was what made me decide to write humorous young adult fiction. For years, I tried to become published as a fantasy writer. I wrote this huge epic fantasy trilogy and spent five years sending it out to agents. All of them said no. I was at the point that I wanted to give up writing entirely when I watched The Princess Diaries movie. I liked it so much that I found the books and read them. They made me want to make people laugh like the books did for me. So I sat down and wrote Something to Blog About, which got me an agent a year later and then a book contract. And so The Princess Diaries completely changed my life and turned me into who I am now.”
–Shana Norris


“Not only one book, but many. I draw on all of the books I’ve read as sources of inspiration. Even if I don’t like a book, that just tells me what I shouldn’t try to write.”
–Raine Thomas

“I think out of all the books I’ve read the one that has affected me and my writing the most would be Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. You know the Dexter show right? With Michael C. Hall? Well, the show was based on a book in case you didn’t know! It’s an amazing book series that helped me mold my own writing. Personally wise it hasn’t taught much other than to accept what you are and that sometimes the risk is worth it. (Though in the book the risk is murdering people…so…my lesson is more of a metaphor rather than literal.) It is very well written, and I would occasionally reference it when having issues with grammar or wording. I sincerely love the series and thanks to them I was able to produce Dehumanized the best it can be!”
–Michael Loring

 
“I'd have to say The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I've read it probably 4 times and it's always an exciting adventure to me.”
–Victoria Simcox


“The Book Thief. It was just so beautifully written. The language and the world Markus Zusak paints is just incredible. I will always aspire to write beautifully because it. On a more personal note, the story was such a poignant one. It really affected me, and I was so glad when I heard they were making it into a movie.”
–Frankie Rose

 
“The book I am currently writing which I have not revealed yet, you all will understand if you read it once it’s released.”
–Quinn Loftis


“I am obsessed with JK Rowling. She reminded me how much I love to write. Her books literally helped my son become an avid reader. He was tired of me reading the first book to him (I wasn’t going fast enough) - he taught himself how to read at 6 with the Harry Potter books. He is now 19 and has read the books at least 5 times each. I would love to impact a child’s reading career. I plan on writing a children’s series in 2014”
–Devyn Dawson

“So many. In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Peirce will always hold a special place in my heart but a few others include The Hermit Thrush Sings by Susan Butcher, The Fault in our Stars by John Green, Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves and The Deed of Paksonarian by Elizabeth Moon.”
–Emma Michaels

“When I received the diagnosis for my son’s autism, someone had given me Facing Autism. I laughed, bawled my eyes out, smiled and sighed through that entire book. It hurt like hell, but gave me hope. Other than the C word, autism isn’t anything a parent wants to hear. Four years later, we’re a success story, but the journey isn’t over.”
–Brenda Pandos
 
 
“The Twilight Saga’s”
–Carlyle Labuschagne



“When I published my first book, Soul Quest it was a very rewarding experience. I’ve always wanted to write a book but didn’t know if I would ever follow through with it. Since writing Soul Quest I have written and published three additional full length novels. I guess you might say that that Soul Quest was the catalyst to my career as an independent author.”
–Amy Maurer Jones


Thank you for reading!
We hope you will join us soon at
The Writers Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment