Friday, May 10, 2013

Tour Post #8

 
Tour Co-hosts:
 
The Writers Voice is a multi author blog where prominent authors from around the web come together and share their thoughts on all things literary or otherwise. Here is a peek at our team of authors!

Worldbuilding is such an important part of writing. What would your words of encouragement for aspiring authors be when it comes to developing their own worlds?

“Don’t be afraid of being called a day dreamer, it is a compliment. If you look at the world around you and see something more amazing than what everyone else around you sees – you’re doing it right.”
–Emma Michaels


“Don’t limit yourself to what is possible. Go beyond that and imagine a world where absolutely anything is possible. Think about why people read books instead of watch movies and try to give them the best story possible.”
–Quinn Loftis


“When I start world building, I start with the physical environment that my characters reside in, climate, terrain, etc. Also, such things as the culture, the type of society, and there is much more. A lot is involved but to think it up is also part of why I like to write, to create my very own world is amazing and a lot of fun.”
–Victoria Simcox

 
 
“Go for it, if you can dream it, you can create it.”
–Carlyle Labuschagne


“Spend a long time imagining the surroundings of your main characters. Daydream on the sofa about where they are and how their environment affects who they are and the events that take place. The world has to be well thought out and believable. The world of your book is almost like a character in the book itself. It’s the foundation, and without it the whole story will crumble.”
–Frankie Rose

 
“Make sure you have your own style when developing their own worlds and most importantly believe in everything you write no matter what.”
–Tanya Contois


“That’s tough. Since I have such an active imagination, I see my worlds like a movie. If this is difficult for you, then research and tap into avenues that’ll grow and expand your world (that is if you’re not writing fantasy, paranormal or dystopian), otherwise your world could be present day or past, which might be easier for you to develop. Go with whichever feels easiest.”
–Brenda Pandos

“Write what you know and put a twist on it. You hear all the time that there are no original ideas. For the most part, that’s true! Start with an existing idea and make it your own.”
–Raine Thomas


“Hehehehe…. I’m not going to be very helpful with this question since I usually dream up my worlds, literally, while I sleep. I find if I THINK about it too much it never happens. I just let it come to me.”
–Amy Maurer Jones


“When creating your own world, you first need to look at your own world. Take a good look, memorize it, and then completely twist it into something else in your head. Take basis off the real world and add in something different. Maybe instead of humans you have a community of shifters, or vampires, or fairies. How would an outsider react to such a community? Or a new member? To create a new world, you want to understand your current one to know where to start.”
–Michael Loring

“For me, I write an outline for the book. I don’t always follow my original idea, my stories decide the direction and I go with the flow. Write daily, it doesn’t have to be your manuscript (however it helps). Write blogs, interviews, emails, whatever comes to mind. Keep your imagination alive.”
–Devyn Dawson

 
“Don’t be afraid to be imaginative in creating your world, but make sure that everything in your world has a reason for the way it is. At the moment, I’m writing mostly contemporary fiction, but I have written fantasy in the past and do still dabble in it a bit. When I’m working with magical worlds that aren’t like our own, I want the parts of that world to have logical reasons for why it is the way it is. When creating the Swans Landing series about mermaid-like beings called finfolk, I knew my people were able to move between living on land and in water whenever they wanted. So I did a lot of reading on amphibious creatures and also on mammals that live in the water. I wanted to know what life underwater was like for those mammals, and I also wanted to figure out exactly how my finfolks’ lungs worked to allow them to breathe oxygen from both air and water. The science behind the finfolk isn’t really described within the books, but I do know how their bodies work and how they breathe underwater because I took some time to figure it all out. Create the worlds of your imagination, but figure out the reasons why your world is the way it is.”
–Shana Norris
Thank you for reading!
We hope you will join us soon at
The Writers Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment